Advanced Dental Concepts
1269 Pleasant Grove Blvd. | Suite 100
Roseville, CA. 95747 | 916-786-4865
Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD)
Sacramento, Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom, and Citrus Heights, California
Temporomandibular disorder (TMD) is a disorder of the jaw that exhibits a number of painful symptoms. These symptoms affect the joint temporomandibular (jaw) joint and the muscles that control your chewing. They also affect the head, neck, shoulder region and even affect your fingers.
Though researchers do not know exactly how many people suffer from TMD, the disorder seems to affect twice as many women as it does men. On the bright side, pain in the area of the jaw joint or muscles does not have to last forever. A neuromuscular dentist such as Dr. David Miller in Roseville, California can help you alleviate the painful symptoms associated with this condition.
Various symptoms may be linked to TMD. Pain in your chewing muscles and throughout your jaw joint is the most common symptom.
- Limited movement in your jaw or “lockjaw”
- A major change in the way your upper and lower teeth fit together
- Pain in the face and neck, even radiating to your shoulders
- Clicking, popping or grinding sounds in the jaw joint when you open or close your mouth
- Facial pain
- Neck/shoulder pain
- Tingling in the fingers
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitius)
- Severe headaches
TMD disorder can be treated surgically and non-surgically. Obviously, non-surgical methods should be first attempted, as they are more conservative and reversible.
Some non-surgical treatments include:
- Intra-oral Orthotic—this is a splint that can be fitted to your lower jaw, your upper jaw or both. It repositions your jaw into a more normal position, thereby reducing the stress and pressure on the joint. This fosters healing in your tissue and supporting structures.
- Physical therapy—this could include Ultra-sound and an exercise rehabilitation program for your jaw
- Adjunctive medicine—this anti-inflammatory medication can help reduce any swelling and pain, and help your jaw muscle relax
If you are experiencing any symptoms related to your jaw joint, please contact our office for a consultation. Serving residents in the Roseville, California area, Dr. Miller and his qualified staff can help you alleviate this painful condition so you can get on with your life. Please call us today.